Reaching Out to the Homeless
In the midst of this pandemic, individuals who experience homelessness are left especially vulnerable. You can help by providing a nourishing meal by making sandwiches.
Every Thursday, City Street Outreach (CSO), based in Markham-Stouffville, will deliver these to the homeless in downtown Toronto. CSO provides meals, clothing, and support to over 100 individuals at Nathan Phillips Square while also providing a word of encouragement and prayer.
How You Can Help
1. CHOOSE A TIMESLOT
Please sign up to make meals (4-10), sandwiches (1-2 loaves), or baked goods. Choose one of the following dates:
- January 21
- January 28
- February 4
- February 18
- March 4
- March 18
2. DECIDE WHAT TO MAKE
You can choose from the varieties below:
- Sandwiches: cold cuts, PB&J, Tuna or Egg salad
- Baked goods: Cookies, muffins, squares
- Hot meals: pasta, rice, beans, etc
Check the schedule to see what slots are available for your preferred date.
In light of the current health situation, we need to be especially careful while preparing food.
- If you have any symptoms of COVID-19, have been in contact with anyone who has been sick, or have had any chance of exposure to the virus, we ask that you do not take part in food preparation at this time.
- Please ensure that your workspace is cleaned and sanitized – wiping counters down with a kitchen-safe sanitizer and ensure all utensils are clean.
- If possible, please wear a mask or something to cover your mouth and nose while preparing the food.
- Wipe down packaging, including the bread bag, with sanitizer.
- Properly wash your hands for at least 20 seconds with soap and warm water.
Food can be dropped off either to the Cornerstone Parking lot between 3:30pm and 4:00pm on the date you chose. If you are unable to drop off during this time, please let us know when you drop off and we will arrange another drop off time or pick up.
- Make sandwiches using regular white or whole-wheat sandwich bread, 1-2 loaves max.
- Ensure each sandwich is sealed in its own individual plastic bag and place all the packaged sandwiches back into their bread bag.
- Use tape and a permanent marker to label the bread bag with the type of sandwiches.
- Please ensure sandwiches are kept cool until delivered to us.
- Aim to bake 40-100 individual items (cookies, muffins, squares, etc), however many you would like.
- Allow baked goods to cool completely before packaging 1 or 2 items into individual plastic bags or plastic wrap.
- If they include nuts please label this clearly.
- Please aim to make 5 or 10 individual meals – pasta, rice, beans, etc.
- Package each meal in its own take out or plastic container.
- If it is not clear what the meal is, please label the container.
- If the meal contains common allergens please mark it on the container.
- Please keep food hot until it is delivered to us.